Wednesday 26 October 2016

At the heart

Thanks for the chat on Sunday 2nd October,
For me, it was just in a nick of time.  I was about to fall foul of the dreaded 'assumption' (sounds like a disease) and perhaps it is in this instance.  It is so easy even when aware of it not to fall into the trap of assuming.  From day one it has been pointed out, highlighted and discussed.  It comes to my mind often but even so, I was about to fall foul!

I realised during the skype discussion that I was so focussed on what my research may bring that I was not actually open to it and by not being open to it, I had begun to (gently) try to devise and elicit ways of obtaining  specific information through the interview process (that I wanted to see) in order to anaylise it rather than staying open to the process and waiting to see what information was actually offered.

Yes there is definitely a balance (as Helen said) in that one has to ensure that the method is appropriate to the task in order to maximise on the quality of data collected but starting with preconceived ideas of research findings...... mmmmm

"In similar vein, Hoffman (2002) discussed a distinction between listening in order to speak, and speaking in order to listen....... we may listen just enough to cue our next question and then cease attending to what the client is saying' - I believe that this is in a sense where I was heading.  I had prepared question not expecting particular answers but expecting the questions to be answered in a specific way.

How do we listen and hear, be at the heart of the research without our voices drowning out our participants and theorists voices.  Its all a balance and for me sometimes feeling like a tight rope walker - sensing and being aware of your core at all times but allowing the extremities to flow in order to enhance the strength of voice, allowing movement on all planes not just on one.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tara, I have experienced something similar whilst working through module 3. I am looking at the relationship between dyslexia and dance and using observations of dyslexic students to help me. I found at the beginning that I was observing them with the theories of dyslexia in my mind so I was looking for something in particular rather than just looking. I changed the way I observed and just watched them rather than trying to link what I was seeing to theories, what I did see was themes emerging, which I then found research to back up. It's difficult to see something without having an end product in mind, or relating what we see to a theory rather than just reflecting on it and being lost in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i agree and i have found the 'findings' much richer. The elements that I found which related to what I had thought thta I might see are actually the least interesting. Aside from this element of the M.A I have also learned a lot about my participants (who are my regular adult students) and feel that through just listening to their stories without judgement or my own agenda, I am gong to be able to support them in class.

      Delete
  2. Tara,
    I find your last paragraph to most interesting as it seems to be about comprehending the data and opinions gathered during your project. It reminds me of translating or interpreting what others have said or done. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete